Medical School - University of Bombay
Post-Doctoral Head and Neck Fellowship - Johns Hopkins
Residency - University of California-San Diego
Major Research Interests:
Molecular markers in head and neck cancer, Targeted therapy for HNSCC, Chemoprevention of HNSCC with Nutraceuticals, Prevention of Skin Cancer and The Role of Viruses in Head and Neck Cancer.
There has been an alarming epidemic of Human Papilloma virus (HPV) associated head and neck carcinomas of the oral cavity. Although the entire oral cavity is exposed to HPV these tumors are only noted in the tonsil and base of tongue (BOT) composed of lymphoid tissue where Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) virus can reside. Hence we hypothesized that it is the co-infection of EBV with HPV and not HPV alone that is associated with malignant transformation of these tumors. Currently we are testing head and neck cancer patient malignant and normal tissues to determine the prevalence of HPV and EBV infection and co-infection in oropharyngeal carcinoma. Current focus in the laboratory is on the mechanisms of tumorigenic effects of these viruses in HNSCC. We are evaluating the effects of these viruses on expression of various oncogenic biomarkers and tumor radiosensitivity with the major goal of translating these findings into clinical practice.
- Jiang R, Gu X, Nathan CO, Hutt-Fletcher L. Laser-capture microdissection of oropharyngeal epithelium indicates restriction of expression of Epstein-Barr virus receptor/CD21 mRNA to tonsil epithelial cells. J Oral Pathol Med. 37(10):626-33, 2008.
- Nathan CO, Amirghahari N, Rong X, Giordano A, Sibley D, Nordberg M, Glass J, Agarwal A, Caldito G. mTOR Inhibitors as possible adjuvant therapy for microscopic residual disease in head and neck squamous cell cancer. Cancer Res. 67(5):2160-8, 2007.
- Mathis JM, Williams BJ, Sibley DA, Carroll JL, Li J, Odaka Y, Barlow S, Nathan CO, Li BD, DeBenedetti A. Cancer-specific targeting of an adenovirus-delivered herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase suicide gene using translational control. J Gene Med. 8(9):1105-20, 2006.
- Moody, CA, Scott RS, Amirghahari N, Nathan CO, Young LS, Dawson CW, Sixbey JW. Modulation of Cell Growth Regulator mTOR by Epstein-Barr Virus-Encoded LMP2A. J Virol. 79(9):5499-506, 2005.
- Nathan CO, Amirghahari N, Abreo F, Rong X, Caldito G, Jones ML, Zhou H, Smith M, Kimberly D, Glass J. Overexpressed eIF4E is functionally active in surgical margins of head and neck cancer patients via activation of the Akt/mTOR pathway. Clinical Cancer Research; 10: 5820-5827, 2004.
- Amirghahari N, Harrison Lynn, Rong X, Naumann I, Ampil F, Shi R, Glass J, Nathan CO. NS398 radiosensitizes a HNSCC cell line by possibly inhibiting radiation induced expression of COX-2. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, 57 (5): 1405-1412, 2003.
- Nathan CO, Amirghahari N, Rice C, Abreo F, Shi R, Stucker F. Molecular analysis of surgical margins in HNSCC patients. Laryngoscope, 112: 2129-2140, 2002.
- Chandy B, Abreo F, Nassar R, Stucker F, Nathan CO. Expression of the proto-oncogene eIF4E in inflammation of the oral cavity. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 126: 290-295, 2002.
- Nathan CO, Sanders K, Abreo F, Nassar R, Glass J. Correlation of p53 and the proto-oncogene eIF4E in Larynx Cancers: Prognostic Implications. Cancer Research, 60: 3599-3604, 2000.
- DeFatta R, Nathan CO, De Benedetti A. Reducing the level of eIF4E with antisense RNA suppresses the oncogenic properties of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cell Line. Laryngoscope, 110 (6): 928-933, 2000.
- Franklin S, Pho T, Abreo F, Nassar R, De Benedetti A, Stucker F, Nathan CO. Immunohistochemical Detection of the Proto-Oncogene eIF4E in Larynx and Hypopharynx Cancers. Archives of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, 125:177-182, 1999.
- Nathan CO, Franklin S, Abreo F, Nassar R, De Benedetti A, Glass J. Analysis of Surgical Margins with the Molecular Marker eIF4E: a prognostic factor in patients with Head & Neck Cancer. J Clin Oncol, 17 (9): 2909-2914, 1999.
- Nathan CO, Franklin S, Abreo F, Nassar R, De Benedetti A, Williams J, Stucker F. Expression of eIF4E during head & neck tumorigenesis: possible role in angiogenesis. Laryngoscope, 109 (8); 1253-1258; 1999.
- Sorrells D, Ghali G, De Benedetti A, Nathan CO, Li BD. Progressive Amplification and Overexpression of the Eukaryotic Initiation Factor 4E Gene in Different Zones of Head and Neck Cancers. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 57(3):294-299, 1999.
- Sorrells D, Ghali G, Meschonat C, DeFatta R, Black D, Liu L, De Benedetti A, Nathan CO, Li BD. Competitive PCR to Detect eIF4E Gene Amplification in Head and Neck Cancer. Head & Neck, 21: 60-65, 1999.
- Nathan CO, Liu L, Li B, Abreo F, Nandy I, De Benedetti A. Detection of the proto-oncogene eIF-4E in surgical margins may predict recurrence in head and neck cancer. Oncogene, 15: 579-584, 1997.
- Nathan CO, Carter P, Liu L, Li B, Abreo F, Tudor A, Zimmer S, De Benedetti A. Elevated expression of eIF-4E and FGF-2 isoforms during vascularization of breast carcinomas. Oncogene, 15: 1087-1095, 1997.
- Sorrells DL, Meschonat C, De Benedetti A, Nathan CO, Ghali G, Li BD. Gene Amplification and protein elevation of eIF4E in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. J. Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, 55(8) Supp. 3: 65-66, 1997